Sunday, March 2, 2008

The King of Rock and Roll


I really liked watching the Elvis documentary because I never knew much about him or how he got started. It's so interesting that he was intended to be a white face for a black voice and that he was a big part in breaking that racial barrier in the fifties. I knew that Elvis was insanely popular but I had no idea how important he was to some people, like those girls sobbing in the front row of his concerts. That's dedication, I guess! I was also surprised but not altogether shocked to see that for many people his signature dance moves went too far, but I thought some of the judgements made about him and his "intentions" were ridiculous. It goes to show that there will always be people against change or progress and those people tend to speak louder than those trying to make a change. I was reading Lea's post and I totally agree with her about the fact that Elvis introduced sex appeal to music and that it has influenced all the music that followed it. She said Elvis was sex on stage, which I thought was funny. Elvis was a trendsetter and a rule-breaker and it's great to know more about how he helped us get to where we are today!

2 comments:

Neil said...

I also did not know much about Elvis, besides some of his "sex" moves and a couple of his songs. I was very shocked to find out the fact that he was a white man intended to put a white face on black music, so that integration could take place. I also think that all the teens, specifically the girls, going to his concerts and watching him perform are kind of outrageous because of the fact that they were crying and ripping there hair out. I really don't know of anyone going to a concert and crying as much as those girls in the video, nor have I ever seen such emotion during a concert.

Taylor Raf said...

well neil i dont know about you, but tearing out my hair and sobbing uncontrollably is pretty much a routine thing whenever i go to concerts. i just get into a zone.

ANYWAY. yeah, I agree with you Anna. I had no idea Elvis played such a part in helping integrate races until I watched the movie. Elvis basically characterized music in the 50s and its just crazy to think that he was so controversial at the time and was thought to be such a rebel. WILD...